Here’s a meme. It came from livejournal, where it circulates around and around, but maybe it’s time that some bloggers got in on the game.
1. Pick 15 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie. (Or in some cases, just remember them.)
3. Post them for everyone to guess.
4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it correctly and the name of the movie.
5. No Googling/using IMDb/Wikiquote search functions. That would be cheatin’.
6. Tag five people.
I really wanted to quote the line from Aliens, “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.” But it’s way too recognisable. Some of these are pretty easy, some are a bit more difficult. Oh, and I tag Jonathan, Wildly Parenthetical, Gaylourdes, Eric and Nate.
1. “What do you like? Are you a talker? A button freak? Maybe you like to get your chest walked around with high heeled shoes. Or make ‘em watch you tinkle. Or maybe you get off wearing women’s clothes. Goddamned hypocrite squares!”
“No, what I mean is why do you feel you have to steal for money? Couldn’t you get a job?” Sandy guessed Dog Day Afternoon.
“Uh, no. Doing what? You know if you want a job you’ve got to be a member of a union. See, and if you got no union card you don’t get a job.”
“What about non-union occupations?”
“What’s wrong with this guy? What do you mean non-union, like what? A bank teller? You know how much a bank teller makes a week? Not much. A hundred and fifteen to start, right? Now are you going to live on that? I got a wife and a couple of kids, how am I going to live on that?”
“On the self-abuse front — and this is important — I don’t think it’s advisable to do it in the shower. It wastes water and electricity and because we all expect you to be doing it there in any case. And, not on… under the linen… Well… Anyway, if you’re worried about anything at all, just feel free to ask and we’ll look it up.” The Ice Storm, Sandy.
“Are you a girl or a boy?” solvent hit the nail with By Hook Or By Crook.
5. “Wings? I don’t have wings!”
“Of course not. You’re a boy.”
“As a matter of fact, we’re almost certain ghouls and werewolves occupy high positions at City Hall.” Shane guessed The Lost Boys
7. “Aren’t we supposed to question authority? You taught me that! Who do you think you are, General Patton?”
8. “At this moment, I didn’t feel shame or fear, but just kind of blah, like when you’re sitting there and all the water’s run out of the bathtub.”
“I’m scared like I can’t tell you. Of all people, you’re standing right over there, by that counter. You’re in both dreams and you’re scared. I get even more frightened when I see how afraid you are and then I realize what it is. There’s a man… in back of this place. He’s the one who’s doing it. I can see him through the wall. I can see his face. I hope that I never see that face, ever, outside of a dream.” Shane, Mulholland Drive
10. “The sky people live here. They eat air and shit clouds.”
“I read your manifesto.”
“Yes. I must say, I found it rather… appalling.”
“That’s a first. Most people praise me for it.”
“Most people are sheep. Who are you to criticize something you’ve never experienced?”
“I wasn’t criticizing. I just think people shouldn’t experience the act of love until they are in love and I just don’t think people our age are mature enough to experience those kinds of emotions.”
“Are you a lesbian?”
“I didn’t mean to offend you. I just picked up on a little bit of that lesbian vibe.”
WP got Cruel Intentions, also one of my guiltily most-rewatched films.
12. “I am his wife, and I am telling you, this is not him!”
13. “People like you are hung up on freshness. You realize what goes into a can of pineapple? The fruit must be grown, harvested, sliced, and you just throw it away! How do you think the can feels about that?”
“Buddy, I only work here. Who cares about how the cans feel? What about how I feel? Loading, more loading, unloading… How I wish cans wouldn’t expire! It’d save me loads of work. You like expired cans? Help yourself! As many as you like! On the house!”
“Can you learn stuff you haven’t been programmed with so you could be… you know, more human? And not such a dork all the time?” T2: Judgment Day, indeed.
“Dogs eating people is cool!” Shane guessing Gregg Araki’s Nowhere, which is obscure but possibly the only line from a movie I’ve ever quoted incessantly.